Historic Square

The natural center of the city got its present during the last decades of the 16th century, moving the main square closer to the entrance to the chateau. During the first half of the 17th century, a number of Renaissance house was built; many are preserved in little altered appearance to date...

The most important houses include "U Rytířů" ("At the Knights") with the sgraffito decorations and the "Canonical House". The square is dominated by a fountain with a statue of Pomona with a cornucopia, from early 18th century, and the monumental Baroque sculpture of the Holy Trinity from 1723-1724. The historic medieval core of the town was declared an urban conservation area.

Sgraffito House "U Rytířů"

Undoubtedly the most interesting house in the square is the corner house (no. 11), which dates back to before 1591, with four-sided corner bay window. Up to the first floor (the second one was built after the mid-19th century) it is decorated with Renaissance sgraffitos bearing biblical and ancient scenes, dated back to the first quarter of the 17th century. Noteworthy is also the arcade walkway in the courtyard.


Around 1700, a stone fountain in the shape of the polygonal stone basin with the middle pillar with gargoyles was installed on top of the square. It served as a source of water for the population of the inner city. On the pillar, there is an allegorical statue of Pomona with a cornucopia and a shield with the Dietrichstein family coat-of-arms.

Holy Trinity Statue

The bottom of the square is dominated by the monumental Baroque column - Statue of the Holy Trinity from 1723-1724, also sometimes called the Plague Column. The building according to the design by A.J. Prenner was ordered by Prince Walter Xavier Dietrichstein from stonemason Andreas Steinbock. Sculptures (St. John of Nepomuk, St. Francis Xavier and St. Charles Borromoe) were created by Ignatius Lengelacher. The monument standing on stepped hexagonal base with three Tuscan columns is concluded by a three-sided pyramid with a symbol of the Holy Spirit, standing on the celestial sphere, with clouds and angels, along with statues of Christ and God the Father. The column was repaired in 1897 and then in 1997-1998.

Canonical Houses

In the opposite corner (house no. 4), Frank Dietrichstein ordered building of a single-floor house on several existing plots for canons of the Mikulov canonry, founded in 1625. While the exterior of the house has retained its original Renaissance style, with gables decorated with sgraffito bossage, the interior was marked by a destructive fire in 1784, when it burned and was completely rebuilt.